Hydrocarbon Fire Protection and Fire Engineering
By, Philip Hollyman MSc AIFireE MSFPE
Young Engineer Program June meeting was opened by George Winning with a brief discussion on the Case Study which was delivered to the delegates last month with an update on the programme and the mentors.
Hydrocarbon Fire Protection is a complex; important topics that a young Engineer needs to focus on;
- Passive Fire Protection
- What is fire protection and why is it needed
- Fire types
- How PFP coatings are tested
- Factors affecting the loading
- Structural Fire Design
- What is it and how does it provide cost and weight savings
- Magic numbers and real project examples
- Further Information
- What information is available
- Who are the governing bodies
- Where do I find information
There was some good interaction from the floor with discussion on how Engineers could approach Fire Protection to meet the current project requirements to save weight and costs.
The evening closed with a networking dinner hosted by the Institute of Corrosion and AkzoNobel.
Our thanks as always goes to those who give up their free time to come and assist with the YEP programme and in particular Philip Hollyman from AkzoNobel.