The Fundamentals of Corrosion
The Institute of Corrosion is running a Fundamentals of Corrosion course presented by Dr Jane Lomas. The course will be based on practical information and hands-on examples as well as relevant background theory. Attendees on the course will be given a wide ranging introduction to all the major aspects of corrosion engineering.
Successful completion of the course and the associated examination will required for obtaining Professional membership of ICorr for those without either formal qualifications in corrosion or the relevant time experience.
Who is the course for:
The course will be suitable for engineers, paint inspectors, designers, technicians and scientists wishing to expand their career opportunities into the corrosion field or wanting to broaden or refresh their knowledge of corrosion in general.
Civil, mechanical, chemical and naval engineers will find the course aids their ability to assess potential or actual corrosion situations and to be able build anti-corrosion measures and strategies into their projects. It will also help to understand the mechanisms and causes of common premature failures.
The course will take place over a 5 day period in a classroom format; four days being talks and practical sessions and the fifth day being a short review and the examination. There will be opportunities to ask questions at all times during the course.
The course will include:
- Corrosion of common metals.
- Basic corrosion science.
- Common corrosion mechanisms; galvanic, crevice, pitting, deposition, corrosion under deposit/lagging, stress corrosion and cracking.
- The electrochemical series and its practical uses.
- Methods for preventing or managing corrosion, including Inhibitors/passivation.
- Introduction to cathodic protection.
- Surface preparation challenges, paints & coatings.
- Corrosion and environmental conditions.
- Material selection & design.
- Corrosion testing and monitoring.
The course will be presented by Dr Jane Lomas (FICorr).
Jane is an experienced corrosion & coatings engineer at Amtec Consultants Ltd with a multi-disciplinary background. She has over 30 years practical experience of marine corrosion and building coatings issues, from project design, through new building to guarantee claims; ongoing coating maintenance problems and repair issues.
She also works on a global basis with failure investigations and product liability claims in the automotive, industrial, aerospace and water treatment industries as an investigator and problem solver.
Jane manages multi-company projects for both R&D purposes and claims cases and also runs the laboratory at Amtec.
- Fellow – Institute of Corrosion (FICorr)
- Honorary Secretary, Trustee and Council Member of ICorr.
11th -15th March 2019
Further information on the course can be obtained from the Institute of Corrosion: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org